Matthew Durkin

"David H-S" wrote in message
Matthew Durkin wrote:

Hi All,
I'm willing to accept that my DIY skills are not up to removing a chimney
breast - however I would like ot have one removed.
The chimney has already been removed from downstairs, and I'd now like
the bit upstairs removing also (small room, will make big space
difference).
It's about a foot deep and perhaps 3 feet wide. We live in a red brick
terrace and this is on a wall adjoining the neighbours.
Could someone let me know what will be involved and how big a job it is?
How much would I expect to pay for the chimney to be removed? Are there
any complications - i.e.could it be connected to next door in any way?

Thanks,
Matthew

You imply that you have removed brickwork from downstairs.
So what is supporting the brick work at first floor and attic levels?
You also say you may move in a few years. What will a purchaser's
surveyor make of the structural integrity of the remaining chimney and its
effect on the party (?) wall?

There are ways of dealing with the problem - a qualified advisor can
assist.

The downstairs chimney was removed before we moved in and the survey didn't
show anything of any concern up. I'm assuming it's been done properly! We're
just thinking about removing the rest!