dan

What's that Lassie? You say that geoff m fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by 23 Aug 2004 02:34:26 -0500:

You usually have forward gears (3 or 4) and reverse on one stick, and
then a selection of gear ratios on the other, so you can go at various
speeds forward and reverse. most tractors don't have any syncros, so
you have to stop to change gear.

This one must be an oddball. On one lever it has 1 2 3 4, and on
the other one PARK HI LO REV.

The park position explains why I couldn't find the parking brake.
Handbrakes vary - on our little Ford, you step on the foot brake and
pull up a small ring by the brake pedal.

3pt linkage is a selection of hand controls (on the right on the
Ford) by the rear wheel fender. Should be a PTO engage lever around
there somewhere.

Hand throttle on the dash. Some have a foot throttle as well.

Yep, found the hand and foot throttles by tracing back the linkages
from the injector pump. Found the stop lever too.

Diesels will usually need glow plug starting, and pull a knob to
stop. Don't forget to turn off the ignition if it isn't automatic
otherwise the battery will go flat.

Thanks I didn't know that.

--

Dan