Karl Townsend

Half the fun is just figuring out a new tractor. Get out in the middle of
the field and start playing with it.

Unless you have a shuttle transmission, the left lever is speed ranges L-H
or L-M-H, the right will have an H pattern for R-1-2-3 ( some have 4 also)
A shuttle transmission has a forward/reverse lever just under the steering
wheel on the left.

Most Johnny's have a catch lever somewhere on the brake linkage to hold the
brakes down for parking and another lever to lock both left/right brakes
together. My brand new JD5310N has its own parking brake lever just like a
car.

The PTO engage lever will come out just in front of the axle, normally on
the left side. I far as I remember all JDs of any recent vintage do not
require you to have the clutch down to engage the PTO. The old ones do - the
two cylinder Johnny poppers.

Spend time learning where to check oil and other fluid levels - bet that
unit ain't been maintained either.

Not many Johnny's I ain't rode - except the 200+ horse articulating type.

Karl