Steve Walker

Default Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame

On 18 Jan 2004 10:43:50 -0800, James W wrote:

I have a deep window frame above my front door. It currently has a
single glazed pane in it. I was wondering whether anyone has had any
experience getting a correct sized double glazed pane made up and
fitting it into the existing frame.

Are glazing companies willing to make a double glazed pane for this?
And would it be cheap enough to be worthwhile. Also, would the double
glazed pane fit OK into the existing pane? It is deep enough to
accomodate the pane from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Just in case you find that there is not enough depth for a double glazing
unit, it is possible to have a stepped unit made - ie the two panes of
glass are different sizes and the metal spacer is the size of the smaller
pane, allowing the unit to fit a rebate meant only for single glazing, held
in pace only by the larger pane.

Steve W