Jerry Built

Oilierthanthou wrote:
"Jerry Built" wrote...
It is not a home-made article, it was purchased from a Dept.
store in 1949. It is rather puzzling. I would like to know
what this stuff is, since I have never heard of such being
used in furniture before. This stuff is quite hard, it is
possible to carve slivers off, which break up to some
extent (like trying to carve solid dry plaster, for instance).
The panels are quite rigid.

I think I have a similar piece of furniture, it's an oak
sideboard believed to date from 1944. The back and drawer
bottoms are made from a material that looks very like
asbestos/cement sheet, but the colour is more streaky
(marbled) blue/grey. Rather than the grey/white of other
asbestos/cement that I've seen. Worrying isn't it :-(

I stripped off the old paint with stripper last night, the
stuff is black/blue/grey but blotchy, rather than being
a nice marbled effect - I can't see this being a desirable
finish for an item, I think my item was originally painted.
I have asked on rec.antiques, in case anyone has seen this
sort of thing, but not looked for replies since yesterday...

J.B.