Coherers

Default Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame

You can get sealed units made up, however there are issues with respect to
getting the units to last. Apparently they will fail ( mist up) if not
fitted to allow for proper ventilation around the edges. And they require
deeper rebates.

Check out the following web site - they seem very knowledgeable on the
forum:

www.thewindowman.co.uk

There is an "e-book" for download there, giving the ins and outs of fitting
sealed units in old frames:

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/Ebook_...s_drainage.pdf

Been meaning to try replacing one myself, but not got around to it yet...

"coherers"

"James W" wrote in message
om...
I have a deep window frame above my front door. It currently has a
single glazed pane in it. I was wondering whether anyone has had any
experience getting a correct sized double glazed pane made up and
fitting it into the existing frame.

Are glazing companies willing to make a double glazed pane for this?
And would it be cheap enough to be worthwhile. Also, would the double
glazed pane fit OK into the existing pane? It is deep enough to
accomodate the pane from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance

Jim