Eric Ryder

"Amy L." wrote in message
om...
We just purchased our home and the deck off the house was not
completed. Everything was done except the handrails. We have all the
handrails completed around the deck except for the stairs.

I was wondering if their is a standard angle for the stair railing?
Is their a formula that should be used to calculate this?

Thanks
Amy.

Lay a straightedge on several of the tread nosings, measure the angle from
this straightedge to the newel post. Handrails on stairs should be held 28"
to 32" above the straightedge. (Guardrails on the deck surface should be a
minimum of 36" from the deck surface).

Typically, legal stairs have an angle of 36-42 degrees (not science, just
measured a few