Travis Jordan

Default Phone wiring

wrote:
After we closed on our new house, we noticed that several phone jacks
were very shoddily installed -- the previous owners had essentially
cut a ragged circular hole in the drywall, pulled wire through
(without a junction box), connected it to the jack, and tried to
screw the jack plate back into the drywall with the normal screws.
Needless to say, one good slam of the door and they fall off the wall.

In addition, there are a couple that don't work at all.

My questions:

1) I did pay for inside wire service from Verizon to start out with,
under the logic that I want the phone company to fix anything that I
find in the first couple of months in the new house. Will they
generally fix botched installations for free under this kind of plan?

2) If not, any suggestions for fixing these jacks, preferably without
butchering the drywall around them (since the painters are there
starting today)?

Thanks,

Mike

You might be pleasantly surprised at Verizon's reaction; I had a client
who was in your situation and Verizon proceeded to rewire every jack
(!). They even pulled new wire because the tech didn't like the old
stuff. So give them a call, and be verry, verry, nice to the tech when
s/he shows up.