John Armstrong

Default Questions Architects

On 28 Jul 2003 05:50:58 -0700,
(ChrisD) wrote:

Hi,

I need to employ an architect to draw up plans for conversion of a
four storey house into three or four flats.

My partner in this venture is a an experienced builder and we are
hoping to find someone who will do the plans, then leave us to get on
with it, thereby hopefully avoiding paying upto 10% of the build cost
to an architect which I understand is the going rate.
Is this type of service available and if so what are the cost savings,
if any?

Have a look at "The RIBA Plan of Work Stages 1999" on
http://www.riba.org/go/RIBA/Member/Practice_306.html
These work stages should be recognised by any architects you talk to.
It is probably stage E or F you are thinking about stopping at.
Unfortunately, RIBA seem to have withdrawn their client's guidance
booklet that should give indications of fees for the different stages,
with a new version due out in the autumn. Architects you talk to may
have copy though.

--
John