Mark Sauder

Default Power cost of idle electric water heater

Phil Sherrod wrote:

On 30-Mar-2004, wrote:

If your utility charges less at night, then you can see financial benefits
from such a timer. I believe more and more utilities will be going thois
route as they deploy more smart digital meters.

Most people have their timer set to turn their heaters OFF at night and back on
in the morning when they are ready to shower. Most of the energy consumption
will come during the morning reheat and during the period after their show when
the water heater is heating the cold water that was drawn in. So I don't see
how lower night power rates will apply.

If your utility co. is charging less at night you would set up your
timer
to only heat the water during the times of lower charges.

For instance my utility co. offers time of day rates. When I was
participating
the electric rate was about half the normal rate from 7pm to 7am and
all day weekends and holidays, and about twice the normal rate the rest
of the time. I had a timer that would turn on the water heater from
7pm to 7am. I never remembered running out of hot water in the evenings
even though the water heater did not have power all day. Both of us
in the house worked during the day so no one was at home to use any
hot water. We waiting until after 7pm before using large amounts of
hot water such as washing clothes.

Mark