Phil Sherrod

Default Power cost of idle electric water heater

On 30-Mar-2004, (Lena) wrote:

I wonder if there is any problem with the life span of the water
heater, being cycled from room temperature to operating temperature on
a frequent basis, vs. leaving it at a fixed temperature.

I don't know. Heating elements tend to have pretty long lives.

I do know that dropping the temperature increases the lifespan of the annode
rod and dip tube, so you save a little there by powering down during periods of
non-use.

Do the electric water heaters sweat when first turned on?

I've never seen that.