Gini

Default Factory built home vs. traditional site built home

"Dave C." wrote in message
==
In our case, our stick built was less. I took our specs to a local high
quality
modular builder and he said he couldn't come close to the price we were
getting on the
stick built. Last week I saw a show where a two story modular was being
erected.
They lifted each upper quad (?) section with a crane to rest on the

lower
sections.
No one can tell me those sections are not well built. I certainly would

not
trust my
stick built (which has built to very good specs) to hold together

during
such a maneuver.

EXACTLY!!! Too many people falsely believe that modular isn't as high in
quality as stick-built. Actually, if you specify the same building
materials, you end up with the exact same home, just a bit stronger. The
problem is, if you accept the default configuration, which is cheaply

built.
THEN you might end up with something that compares unfavorably to
stick-built. -Dave

==
Perhaps, but remember too, there are plenty of home builders who cut
corners and hide
problems that they don't want to take the time to do over. It's frequently
just a
matter of whether the owner or field super is around that day to catch the
problem.
This won't happen with a *good* builder--but it won't happen with a good mod
builder, either.
==