Richard J Kinch

Default How to Fill a Crack in Ceramic Tile?

John writes:

We just recently bought a house here in Florida with ceramic tile
floors in parts of the house. There are a few "hairline" cracks across
perhaps 6 or 7 of the tiles, several of which are fairly noticeable
because they are in an area near the kitchen that we walk over every
day. Unfortunately, the tiles are not "through-body color porcelain
tiles," so chips and cracks are more obvious because of the color
difference.

You have cheap tile with a cheap installation. Nothing is going to improve
that or fully repair the problem.

"Chase" the cracks and then fill with epoxy or grout. You can experiment
with blends of colored grouts to get somewhat of a match for color. Nobody
is going to sell you a color match. But you're always going to see the
cracks. Latex paint will fill truly hairline cracks, if you only want
cosmetic improvement.