Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default An electronic question.

On 15/06/2021 18:38, Peter Able wrote:
On 15/06/2021 19:04, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/06/2021 17:52, Peter Able wrote:
On 15/06/2021 18:25, Fredxx wrote:

I'm struggling to see this phrase. A word search finds 3 'year's as
part of 2 'many years" and one "over the years". A search of '50'
finds 4, none of which pertain to time.

That is because it is not a quote.Â* When I quote I follow the
convention of quotation marks - so I might have quoted such technical
expressions as "rubbish", "more rubbish", "unmitigated drivel",
"frauds and charlatans".

And you?

I just don't get your point, "An article originated 2000, referring to
a 50+ year old Op Amp design (great advance though it was) is the
first hint".

The uA741 is still in production, and the 741 is the ubiquitous op-amp.
Â*Â* https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ua741.pdf
"SLOS094G€“ NOVEMBER 1970 €“REVISED JANUARY 2018"

A bit like a 2N3055 is to a power bipolar npn transistor.

Referring to circuits that have survived the test of time should give
credibility to an article, not one that should be taken with a "pinch
of salt".

Please explain why this article should be taken "with a little pinch
of salt"?

We've both commented on the life of the 2N3055, so there's common ground
there.

The 741 was surpassed 40 years ago, the improvements made since being
absolutely relevant to this article.

The article's quality is not helped by its use of terminology such as
"rubbish", "more rubbish", "unmitigated drivel", "frauds and charlatans".

I see what you mean. Perhaps I take a greater issue with those
perpetuating myths, and brushed these phrases aside as being more
appropriate for Joe Public.

I've written extensively for the technical press - but never in terms of
obsolete components - or using such foolish expressions.Â* Personally,
I'd steer well clear of those who do.

They are not words I would choose either.