Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Bad 3-Way Switch-- Again

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:21:00 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

A couple of years ago, I replaced a pair of little-used (and only during
the summer) standard 20 amp Leviton 3-way toggle light switches
controlling a Hunter Original ceiling fan because at least one of the
switches had failed.

By failed, you mean that the fan didn't go on at all??

Not that it woudln't turn off or was intermittent

And you didn't hear sparking or see it through the handle.

I installed the same then-current model Levitons and everything worked
fine for a few years. And don't you know, at least one of them has just
now failed!

The original switches and the fan were installed during a room addition
construction project by a licensed electrician hired by the general
contractor whom we've used for years and does very good work.

You replaced both when surely only one was broken?

What are the chances of this being just a random second switch failure
vs. needing to get an electrician out to check it over?