Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default An electronic question.

On 15/06/2021 08:07, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Depends is the answer as always. Those will do something but surely there
have to be capacitors across each supply half?
I'm assuming that the 0v is in fact earth for the circuit. The only time I
saw capacitors in the manner you suggest was when the full supply was used
as it is as a separate supply to another circuit. One then has to be very
careful with your earth!
Small caps across split rails are common to stop RF pick up though, that is
all I have seen. What exactly is this circuit doing? Normally if its audio
bespoke chips can be used that do not in themselves need split supplies.
Brian

A centre tapped transformer with a full bridge can provide a +ve and -ve
outputs, with either a single capacitor or two, as per:

https://www.tubecad.com/2018/02/10/F...r%20Supply.png

Since Dave said there were regulators, and I assume of the linear
variety, there will already be decoupling before these regulators.

Another reason for having two caps, and decoupling from +ve and -ve to
0V is that many regulators are unstable (and sing or create lots of
noise) and specify a certain capacitance with a certain ESR on their
output.

Without more details this is all lots of speculation.