Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
pothead pothead is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On 2021-06-14, rbowman wrote:
On 06/14/2021 01:29 PM, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
When I was in the service, a lot of shots were given with a Jet
Injector.

Is that one of those things with 50 tiny needles, like an epipen?
You would think every injection would be using those. The person
giving it requires no special skill to find the blood vessel.

Most vaccinations don't require the vaccinator to find a blood vessel.

Yes, there is a great deal of difference between the normal
intra-muscular injection (upper arm, buttocks etc) and an intra-venous
injection (*) or withdrawal of a blood sample. I've never tried either,
but I imagine the second take a *lot* more skill and practice.

(*) I don't think I've ever had one, but I imagine they are used to get
a drug into the bloodstream as fast as possible.

Note of caution... OR nurses suck at starting an IV. Three tried and
failed on me. The fourth was the charm. When I complimented her skill
she said she was a phlebotomist before moving to the OR staff.

If I get blood drawn at my doctor's office, it's hit or miss as my
veins are buried and my arms thin. I turn into a human pin cushion.

If I get blood drawn at the lab, Quest, they get it right every single
time.
When that's pretty much all you do all day long, you tend to get good
at it and they are.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024