Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Snit[_3_] Snit[_3_] is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On Jun 14, 2021 at 12:57:57 PM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote
:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

When I was in the service, a lot of
shots were given with a Jet Injector.

Is that one of those things with 50 tiny needles, like an epipen?
You would think every injection would be using those. The
person giving it requires no special skill to find the blood vessel.

Most vaccinations don't require the vaccinator to find a blood vessel.

Yes, there is a great deal of difference between the normal
intra-muscular injection (upper arm, buttocks etc) and an
intra-venous injection (*) or withdrawal of a blood sample.

I've never tried either,

I have a blood sample most years as part of the regular checkup.

but I imagine the second take a *lot* more skill and practice.

Yeah, particularly with those with difficult veins. Mine are very
difficult inside my elbows, non straight and hard to get a needle
into according to one of those who appears to know what she
is doing. Some do get it first time every time but few manage
that and we don't see the same one that often so it isnt clear
how often the first time success is just luck. One did claim
that its skill and I usually say I am hard to get a blood sample
from every time they need to get one.

I am the same. When my wife and I go to get blood taken the people who do it
will ask which of us it is... and if it is her they give out a sigh of relief.
They hate getting my blood because my veins are thin and "wonder". It does
help to be very hydrated -- but my autonomic nervous system disorder tends to
lead to my body dehydrating itself some. That has improved with time and
things are not as bad now as they were 10 years ago.

(*) I don't think I've ever had one, but I imagine they are used
to get a drug into the bloodstream as fast as possible.

Yeah, I have a couple of times have had them put a canella
in the back of my hand in case they needed to use it for that,
but no one has ever actually needed to use it.

One time he actually managed to do it without me actually
noticing while asking me some questions. I was amazed and
said that he was brilliant. He just grinned and appeared to
realise that he did that deliberately.

I have had them use the back of my hand a number of times. That is easier but
can be a bit more of a "pinch"... but as you found not always.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow