Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.computer.workshop
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On 14/06/2021 19:22, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:01:57 +0100, NY wrote:

Giving blood (as a donor or for a blood test) is more of a
problem because my veins seem to be either very deep or very fine:
sometimes
the nurse has to try a couple of times in different arms to manage to get
the tip of the needle *inside* the vein rather than into the wall - and
that's a comment on my veins, not their skill. The exception was a
qualified
blood donor doctor who attempted to insert the canula for me to give
my pint
(very nearly an armful) and caused me a lot of pain with her fumbling;
eventually a nurse tactfully suggested the doctor needed to attend to
another patient, and the nurse got the needle into a vein quickly and
painlessly. Put me off doctors who looked like Rosa Klebb, but not off
being
a blood donor ;-)

I've just been told that for kidney dialysis, they have to check your
veins are compatible!

I think they connect an artery to a vein to form a 'shunt' - the vein
balloons out so they have a big volume to connect the cannula. Sounds
horrible.

--
Max Demian