Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Should we seal new wooden doors when swollen?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:11:53 -0400, wrote:

An oil finish will do virtually nothing effective at all to seal them,
though, unless is top-coated with a non-permeable coat of varnish or
lacquer.
--dpb

Even then - there could be some expansion/contraction -
our last home had factory-made oak kitchen cupboards
that had a couple doors that would rub in summer -
and have a full 1/8 inch space in winter.

That doesn't necessarily signify much though. While one would expect
the factory to put something waterproof or at least water resistant on
kitchen cabinets, that doesn't mean that they _do_. Friend of mine
had a new bathroom installed--after it was done he realized he wanted
some more shelves. I made some up for him and Magnamaxed them. 10
years later they still look great but the finish on the factory-made
stuff is shot to Hell.