Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Sometimes this forum worries me

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:04:16 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 12/06/2021 15:36, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

I don't understand why the various subscribers to this forum who
continually argue with T i m don't just kill-file him. Arguing with
him or abusing him is pointless.

Sadly I came to the same conclusion in the end...

And in many cases the feeling is mutual and partly for the same
reason.

Like, you generally make friends though common interests, it can be
via other people, friends of family etc but here it's generally more
because we (or those of us who have been here for some time and do /
share practical stuff) have a common interest.

However, sometimes you learn things about even your 'friends' that
changes the viewpoint to such a level that maintaining that friendship
becomes difficult. This is most likely over to be things you are
passionate about yourself and *especially* when there are innocent
victims who are suffering, whoever it may be.

Like, if you learned they were active racists, wife beaters or partook
in anything that caused unnecessary suffering to anything or one (like
fox hunting, especially when done under the banner of 'sport'), then
that might be a game changer.

In my case the unnecessary suffering is to do with animals and whilst
there are some here who are in full agreement with me to that end,
there are some (and I'm not even including the trolls here) who seem
completely un waving in their attitude to their treatment of animals,
people who previously I have held in high regard / respect, not only
for their practical / technical skills but in general as (and
obviously IMHO) 'good people'.

So maybe, just like I was with smoking in public places (especially
indoors), I am (along with millions of others around the world) ahead
of the general game and so it's also it's likely it's the same with my
attitude to animal rights. Luckily (as it was with smoking) it's
obvious I'm neither the first nor alone and listening to all the
science, something we will all be considering more and more as time
goes on (like / agree / with it or not).

But then the exact same thing happened with black rights, giving women
the vote and our attitude to people with disabilities or with
'different' views to what sex person should be allowed to marry
another. Many people would have been in denial (that they should have
such equal rights) and would therefore actively resisted or just not
supported, until it was forced on them by law or societal pressure.

Some will never change their attitudes of course and so likely take
them to their graves.

So in the light of the above, as the lockdown (hopefully) eases and
the weather (hopefully) get's better, I really should spend more time
getting on with more productive stuff. ;-)

I learned a lot about people, so thanks to all those who were willing
to engage in a real *conversation* and especially to those who
obviously have already chosen to better align their actions with their
morals.

Cheers, T i m