Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What words or phrases annoy you?

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:35:18 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"Marilyn Manson" wrote in message
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:52:22 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Back in the day, Moron, Imbecile and Idiot had specific
IQ
ranges
be
classified as such...

I sort of knew that, but I wonder what they do now.

Intellectually disabled mostly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_disability

I've not heard that term. The usual euphemism is "learning
difficulties"
That's more for kids rather than adults.
which tends to refer to people who are unkindly and
humorously
referred
as "the hard of thinking"
That's more of an insult.

I know a number of people who work in that segment of the
health
care
field.

The correct term is "adults with disabilities".
There is no such animal as the correct term and disabled is just
as
valid.

What does ADA stand for?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ADA

Wow! He knows how to copy/paste!

The letters stand for "Americans *with Disabilities* Act".

Doesnt make that term the only correct term.

The age 18+ subset of Americans protected by that
act are therefore American Adults with Disabilities.

Let's take that worldwide:

What does CRPD stand for?

https://www.google.com/search?q=CRPD

Ahh...more of that copy/paste prowess. Your mom would be proud.

What a stunning line in rational argument you have there.

Note how they use the word "with".

Doesnt make that term the only correct term.

Wait, didn't you say "There is no such animal as the correct term..."?

Yes, more than one term is valid for people like that.

How there be more than one correct term
if there is no such thing as the correct term?

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of my comment about intellectual disability.

You sure do contradict yourself quite often.

No contradiction at all there.