View Single Post
  #30   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default OT: Left hand down?

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 8:54:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:13:11 AM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sens

The only thing I can think of is from the old days. There was a time when drivers used hand signals to signal
left, right, or stop with their left hands. That might still be legal but I don't remember anyone using them.

Not only are hand signals still legal, but a road test examiner may ask you to at least
demonstrate one or more signal or recognize one or more signal as part of the test.

Keep in mind that drivers are required to signal their intention to turn, slow or stop.
If that can't be accomplished with vehicle's equipment, then hand signals must be used.
Not just legal, but the law.

Some people say that you should use hand signals in bright sunlight, bumper to bumper
traffic and any other situation where your turn signals might be hard to see.

Kids should be taught to use hand signals while they are riding a bicycle as soon as
they are proficient/confident enough to ride with one hand. You might be surprised to
hear that the NHTSA adds a 4th hand signal for bicyclists (Alternative Right Turn) and
also allows either arm to be used for slowing or stopping.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nt...andSignals.pdf