Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

"Marilyn Manson" wrote in message
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:29:54 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:01:07 +0100, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be
down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and
nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say
hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

Visitation instead of visit.

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.

Cayn't get theyah from heeyah.

Do some actually believe that can be true?

Some have been known to say that, not clear why.

Because, based on the context/present situation it's somewhat true.

It basically means that the route that you are on is not going to get you
to your destination. Sure, technically, there is *always* a way to get
from
one point to another, but it may not be as convenient as one might hope.

I recently took a drive to visit some friends who were camping at a site
that was (in the past) accessible by 2 routes:

1 - Put your boat in at a boat ramp and head across the pond directly to
the front of the camp site.

2 - Drive around to the other side of the pond, take a dirt road for a
ways
and then hike about 15 minutes, arriving at the camp site from the back.

We don't have a boat and didn't feel like renting one for the day, so we
tried the drive/hike route, which we have done a few times in years past.

This time, when we got to the trailhead at the end of the dirt road we saw
something new:

A chain across the opening and a sign that read:

"Private Property. No Trespassing."

I turned to the folks I was with and calmly said "Looks like we can't get
there from here."

But the reality is that there is always a way to get there, even to the moon
or mars.