Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Built to Rent

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:19:55 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.

and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

That is just getting the water away from the
house so the basement is not as likely to flood.

A chain works much better when you have a decent eave.

They usually use splash blocks for that.

And that would last much longer.

I guess an extra 3" of aluminum was cheaper.

It's a lot more than 3", you presumably meant 3'

Still a ****ed way to do it.

I agree but these houses were built on the cheap.

My bet, with renters that thing won't last a week.

Yeah, that's what I meant. With a chain the worst that
can happen is some little kid tries to climb it and it
pulls out of the gutter and has to be put back.

You know nothing about water drainage from foundations.
Rain chains are basically a yuppie decoration.

No, they are a downspout that will never block up, freeze and
split!!! The only real downspout solution in forested or semi-forested
areas with extreme weather. A regular downspout plugs up with leaves
or pine needles, water backs up from a thaw and splits the downpipe
when the temperature drops. Doesn't matter if the downspout is ABS,
aluminum, galvanized, copper, pvc, or cast iron - if it freezes it
splits. The chain just turns into a post and with a good strong wind
on a sunny day turns back into a chain