Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 16:35:31 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I've *just* picked up a high output 5' LED florry replacement for a
fitting in the study / workshop but the fitting is electronic so I'm
going to have to bypass all the 'guts'.

The main reason for doing it isn't (primarily) the light but the hope
it will get rid of the mains hum ... ;-(

Mains hum from an electronic ballast? Something not right there as they
(should) run at a higher frequency to get rid of flicker.

I just upgraded it and you were right, it wasn't HF (so at least that
makes more sense re the hum).

I took it down so I could see / access it better and it's just a std
LF job but with an unusual (to me anyway) 'built in' electronic
starter.

https://ibb.co/5WpjQm5

I pulled all the guts out because 1) I could and 2) it won't be going
back to florry / hum, 3) it was lighter to hold in place to re-attach
under the bed 4) I could re-wire it cleanly with all the crap out of
the way and 5) I could clean the fitting easier. ;-)

It's on it's side, under the built-in-bed and over the workbench so
the tube is 'facing' the back of the bench but as the underside of the
bed is white [1] and the LED tube supposed to illuminate 270 Deg, the
actual light (level and coverage) seems to be about the same as the
florry, maybe a touch brighter (it was a 'high output' one).

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTTH527DL.html

I might see if I can fit a light deflector taking some of what is
currently going backwards and turning it down to the bench but only
after I've used it for real and done some fine soldering etc.

The good thing though, it seems to be as quiet as hoped (unlike one in
the kitchen that was also stripped of it's guts).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I wonder if some foil / chrome tape stuck under the bed above the
tube would reflect more light back than the white paint?