Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
micky micky is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:31:35 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

And we don't say "parkway" in the UK. It's a road.

In the US a parkway is a road usually in the mountains that is designed
for the people to enjoy looking at the mountains and what they can see.
Not really ment for peopel to get anywhere very fast. Often restricted
to not let commercial vehicles on it.

Yes, like the Blue Ridge Parkway, very nice.

There is also the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, between, as you might
guess, those two cities. No trucks allowed, barely any shoulders, no
gas stations or any businesses at all, mostly through woods.

A mile from US-1` and two miles from I-95 which are parallel US 1 is
very commericial and I-95 is 6 or 8 lanes. Also parallel to

OTOH, traffic has increase on the parkway 5-fold since it opened

"Plans for a parkway linking Baltimore and Washington date back to
Pierre Charles L'Enfant's original layout for Washington, D.C. in the
18th century but did not fully develop until the 1920s. Major reasons
surrounding the need for a parkway included high accident rates on
adjacent US 1 and defense purposes before World War II. In the
mid-1940s, plans for the design of the parkway were finalized and
construction began in 1947 for the state-maintained portion and in 1950
for the NPS-maintained segment. The entire parkway opened to traffic in
stages between 1950 and 1954. Following the completion of the B–W
Parkway, suburban growth took place in both Washington and Baltimore. In
the 1960s and the 1970s, there were plans to give the segment of the
parkway owned by the NPS to the state and make it a part of I-295 and
possibly I-95; however, they never came through and the entire road is
today designated as MD 295, despite only being signed on the
state-maintained portion. Between the 1980s and the 2000s, the NPS
portion of the road was modernized. MD 295 is in the process of being
widened from four to six lanes, with more widening and a new interchange
along this segment planned for the future. "

In other words, it won't be so pleaant anymore.

Also parallel to Telegraph Road, named after the telegraph line that
Samuel Morse built from Baltimore to DC to illustrate the power of the
telegraph. This you guys will definitely find interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltim...telegraph_line
In March 1843, the US Congress appropriated US$30,000 (equivalent to
$833,250 in 2020) to Samuel Morse to lay a telegraph line between
Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland, along the right-of-way of the
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Morse originally decided to lay the wire underground, ......

The first time people could communicate instantaneously at distances
greater than what smoke signals and signal fires could accomplish.
Although I've read that even 2500 years ago, a relay of signal fires was
used to notify people 100's of miles away of official determination of
the new moon.