Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

"NY" wrote in message
"micky" wrote in message

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".

People who use clichés or standard phrases, but get them the wrong way
round so they make no logical sense: "cheap at half the price" (it should
be "cheap at twice the price" if you mean "very cheap") and that
Americanism "I could care less": no, you *don't* mean that, it makes no
sense; you mean "[I care so little that] I could *not* care less".

Then there's the ultimate "should of" ("I should of noticed that you were
wearing a new dress"). Grrrr. "Should have"... And that makes its way
into written English, so it's not just sloppy/hurried speech.

The thing that really makes my strangling-fingers start fidgeting (!) is
American-style business-meeting bull****: "leverage" (always pronounced
the US way - levveridge, even by Brits), "blue-sky thinking", "thinking
out of the box", "OpEx and RatEx", "run that up the flagpole and see who
salutes", "Reaching out [to someone]" etc. I suppose it's an offshoot of
business letter clichés from earlier times, such as "I beg to inform you
that...", "Assuring you of our best intentions at all times, I remain your
loyal servant" (*), and "Please find enclosed/attached..." (what's wrong
with "Here is..."?).

(*) Someone overdosed on the Uriah Heep obsequiousness tablets! So
cringing that it's prostrate. FFS, just say "Yours sincerely/faithfully"
depending whether you started with "Dear [name]" or "Dear Sir/Madam".

I never use any of those, nothing at the start or the end.

I don't even use Yours at the end because I never am their anything.

Except that addressing "Dear Sir/Madam" is not sufficiently
gender-inclusive for the Wokesters of today.