Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Halogen to be banned

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It means I can make side by side comparison. The LED tubes provide a
natural white, where the florries have a magenta tinge, lacking green
in comparison. Others have also commented that the LED tubes are
brighter.

You do realise there is a vast range of florry tubes available? ie,
not just white and warm white? Of course, as with most things, decent
tubes are more expensive than the ones which come with the fittings.

I am very aware of that, this sub-thread was about efficiency rather
than colour after Bill's comment. My post about colour was intending to
be a throw away comment when making the comparison.

The old tubes were marked Sylvania, hardly a no-name brand.

The same tube maker often does all the varieties. Cooking white may give
you the best lumens per watt, but that says nothing about the light
quality. Of course perhaps most don't care.

One thing I didn't mention is that LED tube replacements claim a 270
degree output as opposed to the original at close to 360, hence this
could account for some increase in output when viewing the lamp directly.

You tend to get the same with LED GLS bulbs. They appear as bright as
their claimed tungsten equivalent, but may well be different when
reflected light off ceilings etc is taken into account.

There are tri-phosphor tubes on the market that are suitable for
photography etc where light quality is important.

I think you have said this before. I suspect they're expensive? Don't
they also degrade over time?

Given they have a very long life, a drop in the ocean. BTW, I've found
hard driven LEDs deteriorate too. Not sure if this applies to domestic
ones.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.