Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Halogen to be banned

On 10/06/2021 13:15, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
It means I can make side by side comparison. The LED tubes provide a
natural white, where the florries have a magenta tinge, lacking green
in comparison. Others have also commented that the LED tubes are
brighter.

Interesting. To my eye, "daylight" CFLs have a very faint greenish tint,
like looking through thick glass. And florrie tubes always used to
reproduce on daylight slide film with a strong green cast: you used to
be able to buy a pale magenta filter to compensate for it (*). So it is
interesting that your florries look to have too *little* rather than too
*much* green. Shows how unreliable film and the eyes are when faced with
a discontinuous spectrum!

Its fredxx he cant rell his arse from his elbow. It is well known that
fluoros have an overall green cast.

(*) I wonder if the same filter worked for all films or whether some
brands had different spectral sensitivities to others. And of course
you'd need a different filter for each type (warm/cool-white) of tube.

It worked for all films more or less. No two film types were the same.
Konica print was the film of choice for portrait as it rendered flesh
tones brilliantly. Fuji did nice greens. As did Agfa. Kodak was horrible
- glaring bright colors - ok for arty shots, but nowhere near natural
Kodachrome however, especially 25, was a beautiful - and extremely
expensive - film

Age also makes a difference. I took two bodies on holiday to the Med
once, and found one had film in it from ten years before. I shot it, but
it came with a massive green cast. Digitised the negs and played around
with Gimp and got very acceptable final results

I think that was the last time I used a film camera

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14