Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

On 10/06/2021 02:14, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 18:41, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 17:23, williamwright wrote:
On 09/06/2021 13:15, Andrew wrote:
And fluorescent tubes are reasonably efficient in terms of
light output vs power in.

They are the same as LEDS

Generally they're twice as efficient as fluorescent tubes. As this
link demonstrates:
Â*Â* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy

Generally? Only one type. I know that when I've swapped fluos for LEDs
the latter haven't seemed much brighter, if at all.

I would have thought the wiki article be a general comparison, BICBW.

I have a direct comparison between some ageing fluorescent tubes and
their LED counterparts.

I recently replaced some Sylvania 6ft T5 tubes rated at 70W.

I bought some Energiser replacements and these are cool white rated at 30W.

Because of access issues I still have the original florries in some places.

It means I can make side by side comparison. The LED tubes provide a
natural white, where the florries have a magenta tinge, lacking green in
comparison. Others have also commented that the LED tubes are brighter.

You also have to take the ballast into consideration but given the
temperature this runs at I guess the loss is 5-10W, possibly more. I
shorted the ballasts when fitting the LED tubes.

This is a place where there are 19 tubes, so the power saving is
significant. After a year none has failed. These are branded tubes as I
was wary about getting no-name ones.

That is my experience, I fully accept YMMV.