Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Halogen to be banned

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
When I looked into this, the issue was with cars and not bikes. You
can fit LEDs to cars if there is some self-levelling of headlamp aim
and headlamp wash-wipes. Those rules don't apply to bikes.

I also read that these rules only apply to lamps above a certain
light output.

That could make more sense. But I think you're wrong. That is the
problem with headlight regs. They don't mention light output.

I tried looking up the claim and have come to the conclusion I must have
dreamt it. From:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bl...gal-in-the-uk/

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been
updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

”Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with
high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If
such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.•

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

Yes, and it's typical broad nonsense. It depends on the design of your
headlamp unit if a different light source gives a decently controlled beam.

I did some tests on mine, which has projector headlights (the type with a
bulls eye in front of the bulb) Have a convenient car park with a white
wall, so you can see the beam pattern easily. It was identical with the
original halogen, HID, and LED. This type of headlight gives a very sharp
cutoff due to using a french flag to shape it. (It also allows an easy
change from RHD to LHD by simply changing the flag - some do this with a
lever)

Non projector units will likely produce a lot of scatter when you change
the light source, as the size and position of this varies with type of
bulb, so will be out of focus.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail
lights or reversing lights."

But there will still be idiots who change their colour. ;-)

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.