Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default Copper pipe sanity check, please

On 08 Jun 2021, Marilyn Manson wrote
in alt.home.repair:

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 2:33:43 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
1/2" No, IMO I don't like them. Do you store stuff in the
cabinet? Does it
ever slam against the pipes? Others may disagree.

The question was not whether or not you like them, the question
was "Are those things reliable?" The answer to that is Yes,
otherwise they wouldn't be approved for behind the wall use by the
Uniform Plumbing Code, the International Plumbing Code and the
National Plumbing Code of Canada.

In addition, the International Association of Plumbing and
Mechanical Officials listing states that the product €œcan be
utilized in underground applications and as manufactured joints
without access panels.€

That's good enough for me.

Separate question: Are you OK with stuff banging against
compression fittings but not push-to-fit fittings? If so, are you
aware that SharkBite fittings are designed to rotate on the pipe
while a compression fitting is fixed? Given the option, I'd rather
have SharkBite fittings get knocked around than compression
fittings. At least they are smart enough to get out of the way.
;-)

The cabinet has enough space in it that stuff doesn't usually knock
against the pipes, although it could happen, of course.

I didn't realize that the Sharkbite fittings were still rotatable after
installation. I did notice in the one video I watched that it seemed to
move a little, but I guess I figured that it would stay in place once
everything was settled in. I kind of like the idea of the valve being
firmly fixed in place, but in practice, once I install it it's not
likely to move unless I'm turning the handle.