Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn Manson Marilyn Manson is offline

Default Drier plug ark and have no power

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 4:32:30 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Turn off the main switch before you touch it.

In a split bus panel each of those pullouts IS a "main switch" (AKA
Service disconnect). You can have up to 6 and all are sourced from the
service. There is no "main disconnect".
They have been trying to chip away at that 6 disconnect rule for a
number of cycles but it is still there.

All depends on the code when and where a house was built.

The first house I lived in had a fuse box and there were two 60 amp
fuses in a holder. You pulled the holder out, and while I would not do
it, you can put it back in upside down to keep the hole plugged up but
the power off. I don't recall the mumber of fuses, but maybe 4 or 5
down each side and they were the kind that the sockets were keyed so you
could only screw in the same amp rating of the fuse that was already in
it.

The external box for my AC condenser has a disconnect that can be flipped
over and reinserted. It reads "ON" (right side up) and "OFF" (upside down)
when in operating mode and "OFF" (right side up) and "ON" (upside down)
when flipped over.

I always shut off the breakers and then flip the disconnect over (OFF) at the
end of the cooling season. The "flip" is just an extra step in case someone
turns the breakers on during the winter. My thermostat should prevent the
AC from operating, but since I cover the condenser and it shouldn't be run
in cold weather anyway, I choose a belt and suspenders each year.

Side story: A few years ago, on the first hot day of the season, I heard an
awful racket coming from the house a few doors down. It was owned by
an elderly lady whose husband had died during the previous winter.
Apparently he had put the cover on the AC condenser in the fall and his
wife didn't know anything about it. She turned on the AC and I can tell you
that the condenser sure didn't like being covered.

I went over and pulled the cover off and the unit began to quiet down but
still didn't sound happy. She wasn't home, so the AC stayed on until the
house cooled down. I told her about it when she got home so she was
aware in case the unit died.

Flipping my disconnect over should prevent that from ever happening at
my house. You have to reach over the covered condenser in order to make
it operational. Hopefully who ever does that would be smart enough to
remove the cover.