Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default OT: Vaccine causes virus mutations?

Snit expressed precisely :
On Jun 7, 2021 at 6:35:00 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
:

Snit explained on 6/7/2021 :
On Jun 7, 2021 at 5:44:27 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
:

Snit was thinking very hard :
On Jun 7, 2021 at 12:44:04 PM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote
:

Snit wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote
Doesn't giving a coronavirus vaccine to everyone increase
the chances of the virus mutating to avoid the vaccine?
Nope, it's the reverse of that, the virus can only
mutate in infected people and so the fewer that
get infected, the less the chance of it mutating.
Exactly!

So we should be using it sparingly.
Nope, we should be vaccinating as many as possible with
the best vaccines to reduce the number who get infected.
Yup. And they are nearing what they think is herd immunity in New
York. Amazing.

Dunno, nothing useful on that with
https://www.google.com/search?q=herd...ty+in+New+York
Gotta link ?

Did more looking into this.

Need 70% to get to herd immunity:

It is COVID fatigue causing compromises I think, 85 to 90 percent is
better but 70 sounds more "doable" at this point in time. Not enough
IMO.

I have the same feeling -- but no evidence to back it.

https://www.biospace.com/article/exp...erd-immunity-/

I was thinking in terms of the US. But, yes, if there are mutations where the
immunity is reduced then the idea of herd immunity goes out the window.

A relevant part:

"At this point, data is not yet clear on whether the vaccines from
Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, while highly effective at preventing
symptomatic disease, also stop the spread of the virus.

Herd immunity is only relevant if we have a transmission-blocking
vaccine. If we dont, then the only way to get herd immunity in the
population is to give everyone the vaccine, says Shweta Bansal, a
mathematical biologist at Georgetown University in Washington D.C.

In the U.S., the predominant variant now circulating is the B.1.1.7,
which is about 60% more transmissible than the initial strain that
first plagued our globe. Experts now believe a threshold of at least 80
percent of the population would need to be immune to significantly slow
or stop the spread. That number could be even higher if more contagious
variants continue to develop."