Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob D[_2_] Bob D[_2_] is offline

Default Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:51:32 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 6/5/2021 4:01 PM, Patrick Denker wrote:
Zombie post, but I was Googling this subject out of curiosity. The
answer is yes, absolutely. I've been using a Roomba 960 as my
overworked, much-abused and utterly stalwart shop-sawdust helper for 3
years. It fills up fast and sometimes chokes on nails and wood scraps
but keeps on chugging. I use it in combo with a large shop vac connected
to table saw dust port + overhead shop air filter. Roomba can't clean up
huge piles of sawdust but is always scurrying around my feet keeping it
under control. Emptying bin now and then way easier than shop-vaccing
whole floor. Plus you can set schedule so it cleans dust every day as it
settles. Recommend the newer self-emptying models so you don't have to
dump the bin so often.

We have had a Roomba since 2008. And we will likely always have one.

If I ran a Roomba in my shop I would not get anything done between
emptying the bin and waiting on it to get out of the way.

With that said, self cleaning to empty the bin may work but not as
quickly as simply sweeping or blowing the dust out.

We got our first roomba about a month ago, a model 8+ from Costco. It has the built-in vaccuum in the base that automatically cleans the Roomba bin when it docks. It's working well. I am still figuring out the mapping and setting up the clean zones and barrier zones. I think we will be happy with it, but I am not getting rid of our Kirby Vacuum cleaner. It does the industrial clean. The Roomba is a maintainer.