Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default Drier plug ark and have no power

In article ,
says...

Turn off the main switch before you touch it.

In a split bus panel each of those pullouts IS a "main switch" (AKA
Service disconnect). You can have up to 6 and all are sourced from the
service. There is no "main disconnect".
They have been trying to chip away at that 6 disconnect rule for a
number of cycles but it is still there.

All depends on the code when and where a house was built.

The first house I lived in had a fuse box and there were two 60 amp
fuses in a holder. You pulled the holder out, and while I would not do
it, you can put it back in upside down to keep the hole plugged up but
the power off. I don't recall the mumber of fuses, but maybe 4 or 5
down each side and they were the kind that the sockets were keyed so you
could only screw in the same amp rating of the fuse that was already in
it.