Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drier plug ark and have no power

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:41:15 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 6/7/2021 8:58 AM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 9:40:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 06:15:02 +0000, Michael Howard
wrote:

I was taking off drier plug and it sparked real bad. Light's went out in bathroom right beside it and dinner room and kitchen. Rest of house is good. It has fuse panel. Check the fuses and they are good have a 250v and a 30v in .check all round fuses and they are good. Still no power to the bathroom or kitchen. What will make bathroom and kitchen lights go out if I ark the drier plug.
Is this a split bus panel? (round Edison fuses and pull outs)
If so you probably blew the 60a(?) fuse for one leg going to the round
fuse panelboard. It is usually the one right above the round Edison
fuses.

Makes sense.

When I was 9 we blew that kind of fuse plugging in Christmas lights. Neither me (obviously) or my Dad knew there were more fuses in the panel than the round screw in ones.

But what happens when he replaces that fuse? We get an arc at the panel instead of behind the dryer? I'd kind of want to know what made that fuse blow before I put the new fuse in with my fingers.

Turn off the main switch before you touch it.

In a split bus panel each of those pullouts IS a "main switch" (AKA
Service disconnect). You can have up to 6 and all are sourced from the
service. There is no "main disconnect".
They have been trying to chip away at that 6 disconnect rule for a
number of cycles but it is still there.