Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

In article ,
NY wrote:
Automatics tend to change down as I increase the power, so I get a
sudden, unexpected surge of power. I never mastered the trick of being
able to get just the right amount of accelerator pressure so I
accelerated in the *correct* gear (dropping into 2nd is usually not the
right gear!). I either got too little acceleration in one gear or else
too much in the next gear down.

Even with three speed autos, this affect also depended on the torque
characteristics of the engine. As well as how well the box was designed
and 'programmed'. Some makers seemed to spend very little time optimising
things. For example, a nice revvy sporty engine that is great with a well
driven manual is not going to work well with only a 3 or four speed auto.
It also depends on how easily the auto does a part throttle change down.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.