Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default Copper pipe sanity check, please

On 06 Jun 2021, Dean Hoffman wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 7:47:57 PM UTC-5, Nil wrote:
I need to replace a water shut-off valve below my kitchen sink. I
see that valves come made to fit on either 1/2" or 5/8" pipe.
When I measure the copper intake pipe with my (not very accurate)
caliper it measures .66, which is a little over 5/8". I think I
read somewhere that "1/2 inch" refers to the inside diameter, and
that the outside diameter is closer to 5/8. True? No?

So, what do I have, 1/2" or 5/8" copper pipe? I'm thinking 1/2"
because it's more common, and if it were 5/8" the outside
diameter might be greater than .66".

https://www.sizes.com/materials/pipeCopper.htm

Also, Home Depot has valves with Shark Bite connectors which
don't require compression fittings. Are those things reliable?

Good summary, thanks. Apparently I have 1/2" L-series pipe.