Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Water pressure pump keeps turning on

On 6/6/2021 4:56 PM, dan wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 14:49:32 -0700, Bob F wrote:
Is the pressure gauge on the same pipe as the switch?
What value does it read? 0 or some higher value?

Let me know if the imgur image uploads works.
https://i.imgur.com/Wlbr3oE.jpg pump, pressure gauge, & pressure switch
https://i.imgur.com/CoY9Xto.jpg pressure switch & plumbing
https://i.imgur.com/4S3jaDC.jpg blown out plastic plug in back of pump
https://i.imgur.com/N3zt1zN.jpg 1-inch plastic plug replaced with brass
https://i.imgur.com/EmoXlEn.jpg non-tapered holes require tapered plugs
https://i.imgur.com/BuUkS0Q.jpg tapered vs non-tapered 1-inch plugs
https://i.imgur.com/06RQp4q.jpg brass, galvanized, steel & plastic plugs

The pressure at the bladder is 52psi.
I can't tell the pressure at the pump because the pressure gauge is stuck.

The main question I have is how to DIY the replacement of the pressure
switch given I don't even know if it's air or water in the copper pipe.

It should be water normally. The switch can handle either. The switch
and the gauge not working could be a common problem of plugged passages.
I still have not seen what the gauge is reading. If it cannot easily be
fixed bu cleaning the hole into the threaded end of it, it should be
replaced also.

To replace the switch, if the thread on the old and new one are the
same, you should be able to disconnect the wires to the switch, unfasten
the conduit and motor retention nuts on the sides of the old switch,
then unscrew the old switch from the elbow that joins it to the switch.

Try to minimize bending of the copper tubing and stressing the other end
at the pump. You can just unscrew the nut at each/either end of the
copper tubing if that helps. No sealant should be needed to re-connect
the compression fittings there. Then reverse that process using sealant
on the threaded connection that goes back onto the bottom of the switch.

Is the "air leak" where the copper tubing joins the pump casing? I still
do not get that part of the problem

Is there air in the water system as I asked before?