Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default West Virginia offering guns as prizes in COVID vaccine lottery

On 06/05/2021 12:45 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
When my wife & I went up there they seemed to always ask if we were from PA. I
asked them how did they know and they replied the diction/accent. To my ears
they sounded the same as us but ??? Sometimes they stated they were from PA so
they could tell. We never saw any Moose in NH in spite of all the signs...

The first company I worked for was building an integrated system for
molding laminated golf club heads. The hydraulic unit was from Hull.
iirc they were in Warminster or Hatboro, some place in Bucks County.
When I first met their engineer I thought he was a Brit.

The company was in Troy, NY, which had its own regional accent,
definitely different that PA or NYC. I don't know why but when I was a
kid people would ask me where I was from. Born and raised near Troy but
I didn't have quite the right accent.

Despite being here for over 30 years people still pick up my accent as
being vaguely New England.

The moose are around. I don't remember exactly where but it was in
northern NH where the road ran along a swampy area. People were pulled
over watching the moose cavort.

I lived in Bristol VT for a while which was backed up to the Green
Mountains. I was out hiking when I saw some movement up the hill. Trail
riding isn't as prevalent there as it is in Montana but I assumed it was
a couple of people on horseback moving perpendicular to the trail I was
on. As I got closer, they turned down my trail.

Then I saw it was a pair of moose. I'm not much of a tree climber and
the trees weren't very big. I didn't think a .38 snubbie would impress a
moose, so I was working on plan C. Then the pair split and got off the
trail on each side, still coming. Great, I thought a flanking maneuver.
Not having a better option I kept going my way and they kept going
theirs. After we passed I looked back and they'd gotten back on the
trail and were going about their business.

Then there was when I camped in a clearing near a trail in NH. I'd
gotten up and was cooking breakfast when a moose walked through the
clearing about 10' from me, not paying any attention. I figure if I'd
slept in and the moose was a little off course my tent and me would have
been a minor speed bump. They go through the woods like bulldozer.

When I lived in Maine the state had opened a moose season after decades.
A newspaper ran a cartoon of a guy sitting in a lawn chair with a rifle
and a can of beer as his buddy painted a target on the side of an
unsuspecting moose a few yards away.