Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ?Q?Re=3a_Strength_of_a_1/2=e2=80=9d_screw_eye=3f?=

On 5/21/2021 9:45 AM, Seattlemusic wrote:
I have four 1/2 screw eyes going into 2 x12s which are running
perpendicular to 5x12 glulams holding up about 250 pounds total (hanging
a cluster in a music studio). It seems rock solid but I have heard some
say the break strength of ANY screw eye in wood of any type is 75
pounds. So yes technically it can hold it even with those numbers but
not nearly at the safety margin I want. I will be sitting under this
cloud/cluster often.
Curious if this is sufficient or if I should open up the ceiling and get
up higher with a through hole or something that wont have a risk of
wood + bolt failure.

I found this:
1/2" diameter x 3-1/4" shank length, Hot Dipped Galvanized Screw Eye Bolt

Screw eye bolts are designed for screwing into wood. And because of
this, do not have a working load limit assigned to them because it is
not possible to determine the various densities and conditions of the
wood the eye bolts are screwed into.

If I was sitting under 250# I'd probably use a thru bolt