Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT: Gas shortage

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 5:36:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 13:55:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:30:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/14/2021 10:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 08:31:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:43:46 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2021 10:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 9:54:44 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2021 7:59 PM, Markem618 wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 20:48:15 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2021 10:46:59 -0400, knuttle
wrote:

As you sit in the gas line or are looking for a station with gas, DON"T
you wish your car was powered by on of the small nuclear reactor like
those they have use to power satellites for decades?

I'm not sure I want to be driving around on several pounds of
plutonium.

Yes but they do want you driving around with a load of Lithium. Safer
by a pretty good margin but.

For some maybe. LOL. Take the doctor and his attorney buddy in Houston
a few weeks ago. Left the doctors house in his Tesla with his buddy.
Leaving home and 800 feet later a firey crash into some trees, going 30
mph. The fire department had a difficult time putting those batteries
out once the caught fire.

And an odd side note, no on was in the drivers seat. They found 2
unidentifiable, not even enough for dental records, bodies in the back seat.

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

"Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, said Monday on an
earnings call that the company found the steering wheel of the vehicle to be
deformed, leading to the likelihood that someone was in the drivers seat at
the time of the crash.
And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

1 - Be heavy enough to convince the car that a human was sitting in the seat
2 - Be strong enough or positioned correctly to deform the steering wheel

A 1000F for an hour or two won't deform the steering wheel?

On my Hondas, the weight range to turn on the "Passenger Air Bag Off"
light is somewhere 0 up to 65 lbs. I am assuming (I know, dangerous) that
the Tesla has a higher threshold to determine if a passenger is in the driver's
seat. Heck, I don't even know if it checks, but if it does, I'd bet it's higher than
the weight of the average 10 YO. i.e. much heavier than your average brief case.

If this had happened on NCIS or CSI, there would have been a multiple perfectly
situated security cameras to determine where the occupants were sitting. ;-)
Or they'd build a scale (or maybe even full-sized) model and recreate the
crash to see if the driver could have been knocked into the rear seat by the
impact.

Don't laugh. We're working on cockpit vision to do all sorts of
things, from setting the mirrors (finding the eyes and move the
mirrors accordingly), to distracted/impaired driving (eye-lid
recognition), to adjusting the EQ for your tunes based on where your
ears are. Big brother is watching.

The authorities (or probably Tesla) may even be doing that in this case.

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.

Actually 40 years ago one of our car salesmen rolled a new Toronado 1
mile from the dealership. It burned after he got out, the steering
wheel was not a normal shape.

The deformation of a steering wheel caused by heat would not be the same
deformation as caused by impact.

We don't know what type of deformation Moravy was referring to. For all we
know, once the investigation is complete, we may hear that the steering wheel
was deformed in 2 different manners. There could be deformation by impact
with the driver and then by heat once the fire started.

Deform a plastic cup with a hammer. Now deform a plastic cup with a heat
gun. I'll bet that the difference will be very clear even to those untrained
in forensic investigations.

Now take a third plastic cup and beat it with hammer before you heat it up.
I'll bet that it will look different than the other two. That's the type of detail
the investigators will (hopefully) be looking for. e.g. a melted steering wheel
that is also cracked/bent.

My bet is that if you take a plastic cup and subject it to 1000F for
an hour, you _won't_ be able to tell the difference.

Please tell that I don't need to explain how ridiculously irrelevant that comment is.

No one is denying that heat could have deformed the steering wheel in the
Tesla. However, to note the simple fact that heat can deform a steering wheel
and from that conclude that there was no one in the driver's seat isn't valid. It
leaves out other possible ways that the steering could have been deformed
that might also explain the lack of a body in the driver's seat.