Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Thread Nut Problem

On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:38:36 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/14/2021 10:12 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 13:27:03 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/12/2021 9:20 PM, Casper wrote:
This morning I was able to remove 3 of the 4 brass thread nuts. The
last was stubborn. After further freezing, I got the 4th off. Only
things I used were WD40, Ballistol, and freezing.

The wheels are not pop-in, they have threaded steel shafts.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iku0193rzc...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Might try letting a temp change loosen the nuts.

I "HAD" a Kreg miter gauge years ago. It used a brass bin to index into
aluminum.

A couple of hours with direct sunlight and the pin seized. And of
course I forced the pin out with all means possible and the miter gauge
was no longer and good to me.

I replaced it with an Incra miter gauge. Steel on steel. ;~)

I have an Incra and a JessEm. The JessEm had that problem but
replacement parts were really easy to get from them and very
inexpensive. I've had the miter gauge for at least ten years so their
service gets an A+. The thing is a bit weird to use though.

I sawed the end of the Incra off by setting it up for a 90, then
cutting a 45 without resetting it. Oops. It was a sharp blade so
didn't even notice the aluminum. Parts are available and reasonable
from them, as well, but I haven't bothered.

I have an MDF sacrificial fence on my Incra. The actual fence will not
come in contact with the blade regardless of angle setting.
I can't afford to risk cutting the aluminum fence.

You ditched the Incra stop?

Afford? Fence is $36. The soft aluminum won't hurt a carbide blade.