Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul G[_2_] Paul G[_2_] is offline

Default Spontaneous shattering of double glazed panels

I had a Velux roof window (double-glazed glass panel) spontaneously
shatter earlier this year (one of four in the kitchen) that was
installed 2002-3 time-frame. It turns out this is a known problem and
Velux have a formal recall programme
https://www.velux.co.uk/safety-warning-new . A contractor came out
within a day to make the panel safe and a few weeks later all the panels
had been replaced. I was very impressed with how Velux handled this.

As an aside, the serial nos of our glass panels weren't flagged by the
website checker as being covered by the recall but I sent photos to
Velux who promptly decided we were eligible.

On 14/05/2021 14:01, 2dallies wrote:
Hi, we have just had the same problem. Inside window of double glazed
roof panel blew and shattered everywhere. I was sitting under it,
luckily was agile enough to move quickly, but if a child, elderly person
or my animals were sitting underneath it could have killed them!* The
conservatorys only 2 and a half years old, Creative View who built it
all say its common and say our 10 year guarantees and insurances
dont cover this (?) and want £1200 to fit a new panel!!* Given there
are lots of panels and they give no explanation of why or would even
visit to check, Im to scared to use the conservatory again, or let
anyone else in there. Anyone know how to prevent this happening again?
Do I not use heating in there (though it wasnt on as it was 9.30am on a
sunny morning and the doors were open). Or where to get protective film
(as a previous post suggests).
Or some sort of netting to catch the glass? Thank You