Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erik W Erik W is offline

Default cheap solder smoke filter or overkill?

On 4/18/21 10:07 AM, JJ Lark wrote:
Have a box fan and, since not being satisfied with existing solder fume
filter because I have to be within 6" of opening, I purchased one of
these filters and placed across the box fan:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Filtrete-...ilter/36728389

Appealed to me since it already has built in charcoal filter as well.
Won't be tested until this week.Â* Thoughts?

This is what I've been using for quite some time after getting tired of
comparing and contrasting filter fan set ups made for the purpose.

With these filters, I just shell out about $12 every 3 months or so,
place over the box fan opening, and forget it.

I can be 2-3 feet away from the set up and smoke still gets drawn in.

At first, I had concerns that the vacuumed air, which you can definitely
feel as it works, might interfere with the solder temp and make
soldering more difficult, but I found that not to be the case.

As you found out, there is a certain amount of stress placed on the fan
motor of course as the filter over the front restricts air flow slightly
due to the filtering action, but I run it many hours each day with no
issues.

Had initial problems with where to place the rather large set up, but I
designated a special spot out of the way just beyond the end of my
workbench.

I couldn't be happier and sure beats the commercial solder fume fans on
many levels!