PrecisionMachinisT

Default Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

This is Turtle.

480 volt single phase motors / equipment is very rare to say the least.

There is
only one i know of and it is the 480 volt HVAC rooftop systems which have

480
volt condenser fan motors on them. First you have to get 480 volt service

to the
building which only comes in 3 phase service and just use two of the hots

of the
3 hots for power. If your thinking of running this at your house. the cost

is
going to be high to get 480 volt service to your house. The electric

company
will supply you with 480 volt service for about $4K atleast and then you

have to
be set up to have the switch box for the 480 volt serice.

Now you can look into getting a buck and boost transformer and get 480

volt
service out of your home 220 volt service. That will run you about $2K

atleast.

You got me here with what you would have that runs on single phase 480

volt that
could be useful to you. It would be nice to know what it is.

Hello, Turtle.

You gots me there too--mebbe he found some lights for cheap and is gonna
grow dope or something.....

Now for a small load, a transformer for 220/440 shouldnt be too expensive on
the surplus market though--Ebay, perhaps.....

--

SVL