PrecisionMachinisT

Default Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to PrecisionMachinisT :

"volts500" wrote in message
om...

"Joshua" wrote in message
om...
How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one

of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

480 volt single phase is any two phases line-to-line of a 3 phase 480

volt
system. If you had to ask a simple question like that, it would be

in
your
best interests (and possibly others) NOT to be messing with it. Call

qualified Commercial/Industrial electrician.

Poor description--two phases ???

Not really. "Two phases from a 3 phase circuit" is a perfectly
reasonable way of saying it. Doesn't make the resulting circuit two
phase tho. It's single phase. Hint: if you were to scope one hot
relative to the other, it's still a simple sine wave.

Yes, really....

"Two phases from a three phase circuit" would better describe a circuit
connected to a three phase supply through three wires but having no load
across one of the phases.

Hint: our shop has a single phase service at 400 amps, we buss 170 amps of
this to generate our own three phase power via rotary transformer in order
to supply the machinery.

At any rate, a better description IMO would have been something like " a
two wire service, usually one phase of a three phase supply"

--

SVL