Chris Lewis

Default Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

According to HA HA Budys Here :
From: (Joshua)

How do I wire up a 480v Single Phase circuit? I'm familiar with 480V
3P but not single. The machine has a preinstalled 3-wire cord, one of
which is a ground so I'd only be using twom wires.

Also what exactly does poles mean? Like a circuit breaker is either
1-2-3 poles, is that the same as phase? Thanks.

I think "poles" means "hots" in this context. You have two.

"Single phase" 480 is just like single phase 240 residential service, only at a
higher voltage. It's called single phase because the voltage is derived from a
center tapped transformer fed from one single primary.

I've never seen a single phase 480v service. 480 is commercial/industrial in
nature and it's generally supplied as 3 phases.

I think he's just pulling two hots (out of three) from a 480V three phase feed.

At that voltage, I'd normally hire an electrician just to be _damn_ sure I don't
do something dumb.

Most 120V stupidities are survivable. I consider 480V instant death.

[During the ice storm we wired a 600V three phase 200Kw generator. In an
emergency, you gotta do what you gotta do. But you can damn betcha we were
careful, and warned everyone that sticking one's hand into the step-down
transformer was not just dangerous but instant death. They paid attention.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est